1.17.2005

aran, take three


i have to restart my sweater again. why?

1. the cables look cramped. they're too close together.



because of the extra ply in the yarn and the resulting larger gauge, i had to get rid of the supplemental stitches that took the space between the major and minor cables. the layout now looks a lot truer to nicholas's but, as you can see, it has already begun to look cramped.

2. the side seam pattern looks unsatisfactory.



you can see it to the left of the major cable in the picture above. i got it in my head to increase at the side seams to make the body bigger as it goes up. i used a simple cable that would get wider by one stitch at each twist. good concept, winpy result. i would like for them to look a bit more stout so they can hold up to the rest of the layout.

this means i have to go back to the drawing board. i think i'm going to do without the side seam increases. i saw how ez's aran in knitter's almanac has a straight body and wondered why she didn't taper it. now i think i know why.

third time. i hope it's a charm.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I can't believe you're going to start again! I don't think "perfectionist" is the word, but maybe it is. Anyhow, for everyone's sake I do indeed hope that, if there is a third time, it will be a charm!!

1:46 PM  
Blogger Donny said...

i thik it looks great! Im still trying to find a pattern that I like, and then I have to settle on a yarn to, so it might be awhile before I jump in. All the patterns that Ihave found have strange ribbing or I dont like the combination of the cables, so I may have to make up my own.

On another note, I started making the seamless beenie yesterday ( I had the day off) ... it looks awesome and Im almost 3/4 of the way done. It took me a few minutes to figure out the wrapping thing (I was thinking somehow that I was binding off a stitch each row in the decrease before wrapping, but quickly figured out I was wrong). Anyway - it looks great - Ill send you a pic. Oh and I finally finished the loooonnnnggg scarf - and just in time - it was 20 degrees here this morning.

6:50 AM  
Blogger xmasberry said...

looking good Thuy! i hope my yarn comes this week and then maybe (big MAYBE) i will be able to catch up!

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home