2.10.2005

to rib, or not to rib.....

After much ado, I decided to start my sweater with the handpainted yarn with the color that Im not crazy about. I dont know if my pattern is technically "aran" but it consists of a series of a few cables virtually butted up against each other across, creating a really nice deep texture. (Photo to come - digital camera issues). My question for you all is - Im really not a big fan of long ribbing at the bottom of my sweaters, and this pattern shows that. I tried my sample pattern swatch with no ribbing, but its too wavy across, so i started my sweater with only 4 rows of ribbing , just to pull the bottom edge in a bit. Now I think it looks odd, but maybe its just me. Have any of you done a sweater with short ribbing?
hey - kudos to thuy and holly for figuring out the stitch issue... gosh what did we do before email and the internet?!

4 Comments:

Blogger thuy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:15 AM  
Blogger thuy said...

i have no experience on short ribs. the waviness (without ribbing) could be alleviated from blocking. i'll wait for the picture before i blab on.

8:17 AM  
Blogger xmasberry said...

another idea would be a garter or moss-stitch edge. oh, or you could do a provisional cast on and then decide is you wanted to but ribs on afterwards or maybe a cable going around?

10:09 AM  
Blogger maura said...

i like the short ribbing you show, but a way to avoid a wavy edge if you don't want any ribbing is to cast on less stitches and then increase in the first row. say your cables are six stitches. you could cast on three for each cable and then inrease in each of those stitches on the first row/round. I did this according to ann budd's patterns and it makes a very nice edge.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home